Dentists, GP surgeries, therapists, masseurs, opticians, chiropractors, and podiatrists should be looking at how they are dealing with their confidential waste and considering onsite shredding.
Healthcare organisations and businesses like these deal with many highly sensitive documents such as patient records, staff records, letters to clients and patients, and staff contact details.
So, having an onsite shredding service where secure vans visit their sites and shred items in front of them, gives managers and owners in the healthcare sector peace of mind.
How does onsite shredding work?
Secure, GPRS-tracked vans visit your site and your sensitive documents are shredded in the van at your site by staff who have been vetted to the BS7858 standard.
You receive a certificate of destruction immediately, allowing you to ensure you have an audit trail proving you deal with your data responsibly.
That allows you to ensure your organisation is complying with the General Data Protection Regulation which gives strict protection to sensitive data such as medical information.
GDPR also protects personal information such as names, addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, bank details, national insurance numbers, and IP addresses, and serious breaches can see organisations fined by up to 4% of their worldwide annual turnover or 20 million Euros.
Then the waste, which has been shredded into tiny pieces, is taken to a recycling facility where it is recycled and re-used – often creating other paper products.
What are the benefits?
- Your confidential waste is handled securely and doesn’t leave your site until it is in a safe condition.
- Your clients and their families know their data is being handled in the most responsible way and your organisation’s reputation is protected.
- You comply with the strict data protection regulations in GDPR, meaning your organisation is less likely to fall foul of an Information Commissioner’s Office investigation and fine.
- Your staff don’t have to slave over a hot shredder and can do other things – caring for patients or residents, growing your business, or providing better service in your organisation.
- Recycling your paper also makes your business or organisation more sustainable. For every tonne of paper that is recycled, 17 trees are saved.
- You set the schedule for visits from the shredding van. Onsite shredding can be one-off, weekly, fortnightly, monthly, or quarterly. It depends on the needs of your business or organisation.
What should you look for in an online shredding business?
Look for a company like The Shred Centre which:
- Gives you a flexible service tailored to your needs
- Has good reviews and testimonials from clients
- Has ISO accreditations for safety, quality, and the environment
- Issues certificates of destruction and recycling certificates
- Recycles all shredded paper
- Has a proven track record of providing confidential waste shredding services